[Sca-cooks] Vidalia Onions

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Mon May 28 19:14:39 PDT 2001

>> Thanks. Sounds good. One question, though. Why are you
>> putting the water in the bottom of the pan? The pan is
>> uncovered, right? And you are baking at a temperature
>> well above the boiling point of water. Doesn't the water just
>> boil away? Or since it takes awhile for the water to boil
>> away, does this keep the onion from sticking and provides some
>> juice until the olive oil and onion juice take over?

I believe the water's there to raise the humidity a bit so as to
prevent drastic drying out. The same thing's done when baking
some souffle's, I believe; the recipe for chocolate souffle' I inherited
says to put the dish with the mixture into a larger pan with a half-inch
to inch of water while baking. . .

Alban