[Sca-cooks] Help in translation?

Tue May 29 06:32:27 PDT 2001

Calamite can mean "reed" or "reed-like," so in this case I would probably
translate it as storax reed.  Storax is a general term for the snowbell
(Styrax japonicus) but can also refer to the resin of various members of the
Styrax and has been used to refer to the resin of various members of the
Liquidambar, especially L. orientalis.  I haven't see any of the plants, so
I can't tell you which resembles a reed.

Bear