[Sca-cooks] Vidalia Onions

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Tue May 29 09:08:48 PDT 2001

> --- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> > Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > >Or since it takes awhile for the water
> > to boil
> > > away, does this keep the onion from sticking and
> > provides some
> > > juice until the olive oil and onion juice take
> > over?
> >
> > It also presumably keeps the onion juices from
> > caramelizing to a bitter extreme.
> >
> > Adamantius
>
> True.  Particularly with a topping of brown sugar,
> it's important to have some kind of liquid in the pan.
>  You could use chicken stock or beer, as well, I
> suppose, which might add a nice flavor to the onion as
> it bakes.  I have yet to try that.
>
> Balthazar of Blackmoor

But would that little amount of water have much effect?
That's why I initially verified, that indeed, the pan in
the oven was uncovered. That's a lot of oven and one small
pan. It would seem to work better if the pan was covered.

Also, "The water will help to moderate the temperature of
the oven, as well as provide humidity". Why not just turn
down the temperature of the oven, some? Say, 250 degrees
instead of 300?

Stefan li Rous
(obviously more of an engineer than a cook)