[Sca-cooks] Re: Llibre de Coch

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Wed May 30 18:03:19 PDT 2001

>I was looking through it and the Dish for Angels caught my attention.  I am
>going to give this one a try.  I would like some input from folks as to
>what
>"take one azumbre of milk in the season of curds" might mean.  Would this
>be
>like riccotta or cottage cheese or would it be more like yogurt?

I translated this a bit differently.  The original text is "tomar un azumbre
de leche en tiempo de los requesones"; my translation is "take an azumbre of
milk that has just formed curds".  My take is that he's talking about a sort
of cottage cheese.  Milk can curdle at any time, IIRC, and "tiempo" can
refer to time as well as season.

Then there
>is "a quarter pound of aged cheese" which I am pretty sure would be just as
>I please but (I assume) a white cheese.  If anyone has any opinions please
>post them as I will be trying a couple of versions this weekend.

Usually, I tend to use Parmesan cheese when muddling around with de Nola's
recipes.  An aged white cheese might be good too.  After all, de Nola does
say over and over that these recipes are just guidelines for the inventive
cook.  :)

Vicente