[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu May 31 07:49:48 PDT 2001

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
I know that it appears in some of the recipes from Elizabethan times.  When I
did a feast last year from that period, I found the following in the Folger
Library's catalogue which included a reprint of recipes from Sarah Longe's
Receipt Booke:

p.  19, Mrs Sarah Longe her Receipt Booke [c. 1610] from Fooles and
Fricassees:  Food in Shakespeare’s England (Published by the Folger
Shakespeare Library, Washington, DC, 1999)

Take a pound of Almons, blanch them, then beate them in a morter [;] then put
in a little rosewater to them, that they may not turn to an Oyle in their
beating; when they are beaten very small take them up and put them into a Dish
[;] then take half a pound of sugar beaten very small and put to them the
whites of 4 Eggs, with a little Quantity of musk, and Ambergrease [;] then
beat it altogether a quarter of an hour, then put it upon papers in what
fashion you will.  You must be carefull in the making of it, that it be not
coloured to[o] much.

I omitted both the musk and Ambergris as the only place I could find either
one was a perfume supply house.  I knew that the ambergris was synthetic and
worried about using it in food.

Kiri

"HICKS, MELISSA" wrote:

It is also used in some very late period jam and confectionary recipes.  I
think there's one in Fettiplace. I'll dig it out tonight if no-one posts a
recipe in the meantime.

Mel.

> > >amber of grece, ambergris
> > I think my memory's not working right, because something tells
> > me this is a whale by-product, and that doesn't seem right somehow.
>
> Nothing wrong with your memory.  It's from whales, and is
> used primarily
> as an ingredient in perfumes.
>
> Thorvald

This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain information
that is confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee named
above.  It may also be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient do
not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy or take any action in
reliance on it.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender immediately and delete this message.  Before opening any
attachments, check them for viruses or defects.