[Sca-cooks] Atlantian Twentieth Year Celebration - Feast Notes

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu May 31 10:22:45 PDT 2001

Kiri said:
> That's weird.  I guess it's because I used Word, which turned my fractions =
> into
> strange symbols when e-mailed.  Here is my recipe with real measurements:

Uh, not quite. We've been over this a bit before on this list. Unless
you turn it off, Word changes the three character "1/2" and other
similar ones into a single, character at all times, not just when
emailed. Some machines are set up to show this special character,
some aren't. Unfortunately, even if your machine is, various programs
such as mail programs or the program that creates the list digest may
not be. Even the HTML converter within Word doesn't seem to be able
to handle these special characters. (I just noticed there are some
blanks in the Guisdados files in the Florilegium because of this.
grumble)

It is possible to turn off this "feature" in versions of Word later
than 6.0/95. Word also does something similar with single and double
quotes, which is why they are still screwed up in your message you
just sent, Kiri (ie: Maestro Martino=92s). Unfortunately, since
Microsoft thinks they know better what you want than you do, the
default is to come up with these options on. I have yet to find
a method to turn off these "features" in Word 6.0/95 and below. I
usually have to copy and paste the "real" character from elsewhere.

Writing Word files as text files and then copying and pasting those
into email messages is probably the best way to handle this. I
think this forces Word to change the funny characters into real
characters. If you simply copy and paste, the funny characters
have not been translated.

Previously, I was getting an Omega sign and other specific strange
symbols for the "1/2" and other fractions and I've
been able to translate them to the appropriate fraction (I hope)
as needed.  In Master Tirloch's message I got those strange "=BD"
things instead. Kiri, since your recipe had at least two of these,
that will help me start my second decoder ring. :-) But I think
there was one more different one that wasn't in your recipe.

I don't know what effect changing the list software has had on this.

Mark Harris (Stefan would've been considered the village idiot
for talking like this)
stefan at texas.net