[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Thu May 31 11:40:03 PDT 2001

Maslin is any mixed grain, but is most commonly used to describe a mixture
of wheat and rye.

Alternate spellings include:  mashelson, masheishon, mashelton, mashelgem,
mashlin, maslen, mislen, and meslin.  Meslin is the form which appears in
the modern tariff codes.

It is mentioned in the accounts of the Berkley family, (The Lives of the
Berkeleyes, Vol I, p. 161, 1321), and referenced in the Florilegium:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/p-prices-msg.html

There are some early 17th Century references found in Pamela Keegan's, The
Town of Cropredy 1570-1640, webbed at:
http://www.mewslade.freeserve.co.uk/chap21.htm

"Maslin bread is made half of wheat and half of rye. And there is also
maslin made half of rye and half of barley" [Andrew Boorde, The Dyetary of
Helth, 1542].

Bear