[Sca-cooks] Re: Llibre de Coch

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu May 31 13:46:06 PDT 2001

It seems I may make a trek to the Middle Eastern market.  Perhaps I
shall
try a version of this with very soft goat cheese and I shall see what he
ha=
for a hard cheese as well.  Thanks.
Olwen

>You could use almost any cheese from the Basque country,
>Burgos, Navarra, or Aragon. Any good, aged sheep milk cheese will do.
>Manchego would be an excellent choice as an affordable alternative to
>Parmesan.
>
>Thomas

The Manchego cheese that I happen to have at home at the moment,
is not a 'soft' cheese. On the other hand it is no where near as
hard as the ungrated Parmesan I see in the store. I can easily
slice the Manchego with a knife but the texture is harder than
aged cheddars and the color is closer to Parmesan. It doesn't
have the strong taste that some feta cheese does.

I'm not sure what differance using a soft vs. a hard/firm cheese
will make in your recipe.

Thomas, thanks for the heads-up/info on the Manchego. This is
the second time I've bought Manchego and wasn't aware of this.
I may not have even been aware it was made from goat or sheep milk.
The main problem I have with this (particular?) Manchego is that
it is hard to seperate the thin, black wax coating from the cheese.

Stefan li Rous