SC - Creating a period garden

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Tue May 1 14:50:24 PDT 2001

Balthazar of Blackmoor commented:
> For anyone who is interested, the garden now contains
> herbs and vegetables which were known to exist in
> period, but only one or two (I think) are actual
> 'heirloom' varieties.  I'm slowly replacing the more
> modern versions with true heirloom varieties as they
> become available to me.  Some day, I hope to have a
> completely 'period' garden.  I guess I'll have to get
> rid of that 'bird-made-out-of-a-shovel' thing I have
> standing guard at the gate, eh?

I don't know how any of you find time to tend a garden
as well as do all the cooking and other things. I've
often considered starting some herbs so I'd have some
fresh ones for cooking.

Balthazar, you might find this article by Akim to be
of interest, although his idea of a 'small' medieval garden
probably exceeds yours.

He has a lot of good info on planning your garden.
Pattrn-gardns-art (12K) 10/13/00    "Parterres and the Jardins Potager
in the
                                       Current Middle Ages" by Akim
Yaroslavich.

This is in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the Florilegium.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net