SC - Mongol Cooking

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed May 2 09:17:02 PDT 2001

Drake commented:
> I'm kinda glad I'm living in Australia when redacting recipes from ASFTQ, as
> Mutton is dirt cheap and plentiful, but we have no one researching (or even
> seriously interested in) other parts of Mongol culture.  I'd love to run a
> feast with Mongol food but I have little idea of the other parts that would
> need to be present (such as entertainment, garb, serving style, etc.) to make
> it an enjoyable evening.   Anyone offer any pointers?

Well, you might want to check these files in the Florilegium:
In the CULTURES section:
Mongl-Mission-art  (9K) 12/16/99    "Mission to the Mongols" by Bojegei
(Kate
                                       Bercaw). Period comments about
Mongols.
Mongols-msg       (52K)  4/16/01    Mongol culture, bibliography. Mongol
horses.
Mongols-N-o-B-art (60K)  1/ 7/01    "Mongols - Nomads or Barbarians" by
Baroness
                                       Catriona Macpherson, GoA.

I also have permission to add the Compleat Anachronist on Mongols to
the Florilegium. I just haven't had time to work on that, yet.

In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
fd-Mongols-msg    (42K) 11/ 8/00    Food of the Mongols. Recipes.

In the BEVERAGES section:
kumiss-msg        (34K)  3/26/01    Mongol drink made from mare's milk.

In the STRUCTURES section:
yurts-msg         (90K) 12/ 2/99    Round Mongol tents also called gers.

I hope this helps.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net