OT - Nagging doubts re tomato soup - was, Re: SC - American sugar consumption

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue May 1 22:52:13 PDT 2001

>I cannot provide any physical proof of formula change
>for this one-time-staple of my childhood diet,
>however... I can certainly attest to the fact that
>something has gone terribly, terribly wrong!
>
>In my salad days (when I was green in judgement) the
>soup in question was, and my memory serves me quite
>well on this, I assure you, a rich, clown-nose red.
>There was no pretense of cream, no cellulose gum, nor
>modified food starch to cloud the matter.  The slate
>was blank, save for the deep, meaty gules of vine
>ripened tomatoes.
>
>Of course, if you have ever eaten a vine ripened
>tomato out of hand, then you would be quick to point
>out that, even in the mystical, carefree and fantastic
>days of childhood, that soup never really tasted like
>tomato at all.  Rather it was a pleasant blend of
>saline, sugar and...and...something
>elusive...something sublime...something...magical.
>
>I won't touch the stuff now, though...

Eee-ew! Tomato soup!?!?! Yuck!!! I'm a child of the '50s and
Campbell's Tomato Soup was nasty, nasty, nasty even then. I can only
assume that it is far nastier now than ever before. And you guys
(Balthazar and Adamantius) call yourselves professional chefs??? Hah!

If you're craving canned tomato soup, the health food store has some
that is semi-tol'able - i'll have to check the name. I think it is
Nancy's. Made of organic tomatoes, no gums, no modified food
starches, no high fructose corn syrup, etc.

>Balthazar of Blackmoor
>(suddenly craving saltines...)

Yeah, saltines... only bleached white flour product i eat...

Anahita