[Sca-cooks] herb stuff

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Nov 1 03:46:08 PST 2001

Hrolf Douglasson wrote:

> Dear evil administrator can I please put on my professional hat? If I upset
> anyone I will appologise now and grovel later
> I did my long study to qualify as an RGN (Registered General Nurse) in
> complememtary medicines and there place in the modern hospital. It included
> a large chapter on Obstetrics as well as general medicine and surgery.
> Foot rubs for pregnant ladies are great BUT watch out for the oils you use.
> The SAFEST is lavender.
> Rosemary is definatly a no-no.
> Tiger Balm has only recently transfered over in the public conciousness in
> the UK and has had warnings on it from the far east for Years.
> Ginger in small quatities is great for morning sickness, But please get a
> good book from the library and check your mixtures before using on a
> pregnant female especially during the frst trimester.
> However if you really want to help.
> Rosemary and sage are supposed to be abortionistic.....they also bring on
> labour. Great for the over-due baby.
> If I can help in any research E-mail me privatly.
> Vara

Forgive my pursuing this here, but the question was asked here previously and as far as I know not answered. (My apologies if I'm wrong on that.) Which of the following active ingredients in White Tiger Balm are dangerous for pregnant women: camphor, menthol, cajuput oil, clove oil? I mean, if it's a dangerous product, there must be one or more ingredients that are specifically involved in the danger. Or is it the cinnamon oil found only in Red Tiger Balm? I'm perfectly happy to see that the stuff could be dangerous, but so far what we've heard is as broad a statement as a claim somebody is allergic to curry powder. Well, if that's the case it would have to be something in the curry powder that was responsible. There are very few ingredients that are common to all curry powders, so not only is it more credible to refer specifcally to one, more, or all specifically listed ingredients in a given case, rather than to suggest curry powder causes histamine reactions. Same with Tig
er Balm. Does anybody know what ingredient causes the trouble?

Adamantius

--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com