[Sca-cooks] Re: herbal question

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Thu Nov 1 07:18:29 PST 2001

Stefan asked:

>How does Wasabi help tooth decay? Does it actually kill the bacteria? Or
>does it just burn out your nerves so you don't hurt anymore?

It prevents the growth of the bacteria. Here is one in a slew of articles
that gives a brief overview:

http://webmd.lycos.com/content/article/1728.66834

Alban asked:

I said:

>  > Yes. Even some of them are cookbooks. I have a bibliography of sorts

And Stefan replied with a question, asking:

>Are these mostly modern books? or both modern and period sources? I'm
>wondering if this might make a good addition to the Florilegium.

Mostly period, with a sprinkling of OOP and only one or two modern. The OOP
and modern are included because they serve as excellent "bridge" sources
that help explain the period ones to some extent. Or provide a "how to"
description that doesn't exist in the period sources but mimics the method
as best we (I) can tell from what we know about period herbs and their
use (cooking or otherwise). Ultimately I'd like to make it an annotated bib,
but I've not had time, hence its title of "Iasmin's Unfinished Master Bib". If
you'd still like to see it, I'll pass it along to the list since a
few other people
have asked for it and you can judge from there whether or not to include it.

Iasmin