[Sca-cooks] medieval Markets, was: What a mailing-list!

marcellina_dangelis at web.de marcellina_dangelis at web.de
Thu Nov 1 23:59:30 PST 2001

This is a MIME encoded message.
--

> I'm also a member of the "Haubentaucher", a group of SCAdians, who does meadieval cooking at medieval markets. Of course we try to do this as period as possible, means, we have a period-tent-encampment, do cooking on open fire, with period pots and try to give the audience a feeling of what cooking was in past times.

I'd like to hear more about this. A medieval market? Is this part of
a bigger re-enactment event? Or do you mean you are doing this at
an actual market that dates to medieval times? So are there a bunch
of other re-enactors around you? Or is your group doing this in the
middle of a modern marketplace with modern shopping going on around
you?

The thing is, in Europe, especially in Germany every little town has an history back to the middleages or is even older. So in summer they celebrate their history with medieval markets and renaissance-fairs. To do this got even more fashionable in the last few years. Some towns or castles do it only every bigger birthday, some do it every summer. In summer it's no problem to stay every weekend at another medieval market less than 5 hours drive from your home.
Those markets are organized outside the SCA but sometimes used for SCA demos. Here every town has it's local reenactment-group. Neuburg, where I come from has alone 7 different reenactment-groups (without SCA) like Landsknechts, renaissance choirs, renaissance city-guards and so on.
Every second year the whole upper town, mostly renaissance, including a big renaissance-castle is a big market for two weekends. It's just great!

Here is a picture of my home-town.

Marcellina
Keinen Jackpot mehr verpassen! Mit dem Dauerschein des WEB.DE Lottoservice.
Einfach und bequem Lotto tippen! http://tippen2.web.de/?x=4
--
[ neuburg.jpg of type image/jpeg deleted ]