[Sca-cooks] bologna

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Nov 2 21:46:03 PST 2001

Alban commented:
> for example: the American standard sliced-diced-and-steamed lunch meat isn't
> anywhere near the One True Italian sausage; and if you try to give the latter
> to your typical American kid, he'll say "oh, gross!".
> <grin>

Yep. I've detested "bologna" for years. To me, it was to good sausage
what Wonderbread was to good bread. All pulverized and ground up to a
fine grained, homogenous mush. However, a few months ago, I tried a
Lebanese bologna and loved it. Much closer to a salami in texture with
a smoky taste. Does it really match something from Lebanon? I don't
know, but I like it. Makes a good taste contrast in a sandwich with
a mild havarti cheese or even a sharp cheddar. With spicy mustard of
course. :-)

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net