[Sca-cooks] Re: Boiled eggs as a garnish

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 5 06:54:40 PST 2001

I don't know the earliest reference, although I have some pretty solid ones
in Renaissance Germany.  In fact, both the feasts I am cooking next January
will have salads garnished with hard-boiled eggs (fast protein in the first
course).

I'll disagree with the people who are recommending Apicius' boiled eggs in
sauce, because there the eggs are the main ingredient and not a garnish.
Although I often make sodde egges as a "comfort food" on chill winter
evenings (not as many of those in Ansteorra as I survived in the Midrealm,
but enough).

                                        ---= Morgan

"What this country has needed for a long time is to kick butt."
                                                     ---=  Lewis Grizzard