[Sca-cooks] Pickled Anchovies with Turmeric Honey Sauce - way OOP

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 08:27:32 PST 2001

> OK Lucrezia, I need this recipe and I need it NOW! ...please
> Olwen, drooling

Laff! Ok, here 'tis.

Pickled Anchovies with Turmeric Honey Sauce

Bread for toast (I used French, but any will do)
4 white pickled anchovy fillets  (these are similar to rollmops, not the
salty canned-in-oil ones)
1 piece fresh turmeric bulb (rhizome, whatever)
1 Tb honey
150 ml double cream
50 ml crème fraiche if you have it, just thick cream if not
white pepper
salt

1. Peel the turmeric. I suggest you use gloves.
2. Grate the turmeric. If you haven't got gloves, your hands by now are a
delightful shade of Van Gogh yellow.
3. Put the cream, crème fraiche and turmeric in a saucepan and heat gently
to seethe the turmeric. The turmeric will not only colour the cream a
brilliant sunflower yellow, but also any non-metal objects you care to stick
in the pan.
4. When the sauce is at a rolling simmer, add the honey and dissolve it.
5. Taste. Season.
6. Toast the bread on both sides. 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick bread is good. When
done, cut lengthwise down the middle so you have two long skinny sized bits.
In fact, just the right size for anchovy fillets so you can...
7. Layer the anchovy fillets on top of the toast.
8. Pour the sauce on top of the anchovies.
9. Garnish and serve. Enjoy!

Note: Removing the turmeric bits is optional. I liked the extra texture they
gave personally and they won't stain you yellow unless you sit there and
suck on them.  ;-)

This dish is a nice combination of dry, vinegar and sweet. You could make it
with dry turmeric, but to be honest I don't think it would work as tenth as
well, as the fresh stuff has a lightness and delicate flavour you totally
lose when it's dried. I don't believe it would work with salted canned
anchovies either. Well, I guess it would, but it wouldn't be the same dish.
Hope you enjoy!

Ciao
Lucrezia

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.