[Sca-cooks] Carrot Candy

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 10 06:05:55 PST 2001

Greetings.
 I saved out a copy, I had forgotton about it, but now I think I might
make a batch for our Yule event.  Thanks for nudging my memory.

Bethra
________________

Source: Diego Granado, _Libro del Arte de Cozina_ (Spanish, 1599)
Translation & redaction: Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)

ZANAHORIA RALLADA -- Grated Carrot

You must clean the carrot of its peel, and then wash it, and grate it
with a knife.  And set it to cook in a kettle of water which has first
been brought to a boil, and cook it a little while, and then set it
aside and squeeze it.  And have clarified honey and cast the carrot
into it, and let it cook slowly, until it absorbs the syrup.  And cast
in the pinenuts.  And it must be one azumbre of honey to six pounds of
carrots, and when they are cooked cast in a little cinnamon, and
ginger.  And cast them into your box, and if you must decorate it, it
must be with pinenuts.

Carrot Candy

1-1/2 pounds carrots (weight after peeling and trimming)
1/2 liter honey (2 cups + 2 tablespoons)
3/4 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teasooon ground ginger
up to 1 cup pinenuts (or as desired)

Grate the carrots finely.  Bring a large pot of water to boil over high
heat. Add the carrots, return to a boil, and cook until tender, about
8-10 minutes.  Remove and discard any scum which forms on the surface.
Drain the carrots into a strainer or colander lined with a tea towel or
several layers of cheesecloth.  When it is cool enough to handle,
squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the carrot pulp.

Place the honey in a medium saucepan.  Bring it to a simmer over
medium-low/medium heat.  Add the carrots and mix well.  Simmer gently,
stirring frequently.  Do NOT boil.  In about 20 minutes, the mixture
will begin to thicken and clump together.  At this point, you should
stir constantly.  Cook until the carrots have thoroughly absorbed the
honey, about 30 minutes.

Remove from heat.  Add spices, stirring well.  Mix in pinenuts. Spread
the mixture as evenly as possible onto a well-greased pan or baking
sheet, about 1/2-inch deep.  To smooth the top, lay a piece of waxed
paper across the candy and stroke gently with a spatula or the back of
a large serving spoon.  Remove waxed paper and allow to cool.  If
desired, decorate the top with pinenuts.

Cut into small squares or shape into balls.  If you leave them exposed
to air for a few days, turning occasionally, they will dry a bit on the
outside and be less sticky to handle.  Store in a tightly- closed
container in a single layer, or with waxed paper between layers.

Notes:

An "azumbre" is a medieval Spanish measurement equivalent to
approximately 2 liters.

I grated the carrots in my Cuisinart by using the shredding disc, then
finely chopping the shreds with the steel blade.  I think the finest
side of a box grater would also work.  And, of course, you can use a
knife.

I used a non-stick pan, which made removing the cooked mixture a lot
easier.

The pinenuts can be added in whatever quantities are desired/practical.
 One cup makes a fairly nut-dense candy, and I think the nut taste
nicely complements the intense honey flavor. The original recipe does
not specify amount, and using less will not cause problems.  I get
pinenuts at Costco for $8/pound, but if you are limited to those
absurdly expensive little jars, then just use a token amount on top for
decoration.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann