[Sca-cooks] Pumpkin recipes

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 15:27:25 PST 2001

I was trying to find a recipe I saw being made this weekend by Martha
Steward (I know, I know...BUT she DOES present good ideas on occassion!) but
I couldn't find the stupid thing!  Foodtv.com has over 151 hits on pumpkin
recipes though.  I picked another one that I saw being made...not the
traditional pie or bake. :)

Have fun!

--Arte

Torched Pumpkin Strips

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001

2 pounds yellow pumpkin, peeled and seeds removed, cut into 1/2-inch by
3-inch strips
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups dark beer
1 tablespoon Emeril's Essence, plus more for dusting, recipe follows
Vegetable oil, for frying
Salt

For the sauce:
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 to 2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
In a heavy, deep saucepan, heat the oil to 360 degrees F.

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, beer, and Essence. Dip the pumpkin
strips into the batter, letting the excess drip off. Fry in the oil until
golden, turning to brown evenly, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted
spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and Essence.

For the sauce: In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey,
sesame oil, and green onions.

Serve hot with the sauce.

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or
container.

Yield: about 2/3 cup

Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch.
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes