[Sca-cooks] Chayote? (OP)

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Nov 19 12:39:47 PST 2001

Several years ago I baked a southwestern Thanksgiving dressing/stuffing
which everyone liked. Unfortunately this was from a newspaper clipping
which I subsequently lost. I've been searching the web to see if I
could find a similar recipe and found this one at:
http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/americas/mexican/06/rec0636.html

I am considering this recipe for later this week, but I'm not sure
what a "Chayote" is. I think this may be the pale, round, greenish
pepper thing with a thin papery skin that I've seen in the grocery,
but I'm not sure. So, can someone tell me what a Chayote is? And just
in case I can't find one, some possible substitutes?

Thanks,
  Stefan

I have pasted the relevent parts of the recipe below for those who
might be interested.

1 c  Chayote; Chopped, 1 Small
4    Jalapeno Chiles; *
2    Cloves Garlic;Finely Chopped
1 c  Onion; Finely Chopped, 1 Lg
1 c  Margarine Or Butter; Melted
1 tb Fresh Cilantro; Snipped
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Thyme Leaves; Dried
1/2 ts Sage Leaves; Dried
9 c  Corn Bread; 1-inch cubes
1 c  Pecans; Chopped

   Cook and stir chayote, chiles (* Seed and finely chop chiles),
garlic, and onion in margarine in 10-inch skillet until chayote is
tender. Stir in cilantro, salt, thyme, and sage until well blended.
Stir in about 1/3 of the cornbread cubes.  Turn mixture into deep
bowl.  Add the  remaining cornbread cubes and pecans.  Toss and fill
turkey.

<snip of turkey cooking instructions since I will be cooking the
stuffing outside of the turkey>

Spoon any remaining stuffing into a small ungreased
casserole; cover.  (Refrigerate leftover stuffing until 30 minutes
before turkey is done.  Bake covered until hot, bout 45 minutes.)
Heat oven to 325 degrees F.