[Sca-cooks] Roast piggy portions

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:40:58 PST 2001

Yet another question for all you wise heads out there...

When serving a roast piggy as part of a feast, how do you estimate the size
of the uncooked beast you're going to need?  We're looking at 175 people
including the head table, menu to include three other meat dishes plus a
fair number of veggies and starches.  I was hoping to contract it out to
some professionals, but it's looking to be an expensive prospect.  The
caterers have told me to estimate a pound per person, but with all the other
meats on the menu, I think that may be a bit generous.

If I have to, I can rent a cooker and do the thing myself, but that involves
appointing someone to watch the thing all day, and running the risk that it
won't cook in time.

Any ideas?

Vicente