[Sca-cooks] HALVAH YEAST CAKE

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Fri Nov 23 14:12:44 PST 2001

Since we are discussing halvah I just had to pass this recipe along. It is
oop, I know, but it just goes with the topic.
Phillipa

Halva Yeast Cake

Source: Odetta Schwartz, Yediot Achronot

Yield: 3  springform pan cakes - of course you can make only 1 cake - but
the whole cake is such a project, that its worth the effort only if you make
3 cakes and freeze 2 - either before the rise, or after the baking

Ingredients:
Dough:
4 tbsp. lukewarm water
1 cube (60-70 gr or equivalent in dry yeast) FRESH yeast
7 extra large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 kg (2.2 lb.) all-purpose flour
500 gr. (1 lb. 2 oz.) butter or margarine in cubes

Cream Pattisiere:
5 cups milk divided
12 yolks
1 cup flour
2 cups sugar
2 tbsp. vanilla sugar (if you don't have any, add 2 tbsp. sugar and about 1
tsp. vanilla essence)

Filling:
450 gr (1 lb.) chopped walnuts
3 containers (each 1/2 pint) halva spread - which is a spread avaliable in
Israel made of halva. You can use instead halva pureed with some oil for
spreading consistency, or a good spread - like Nutella's chocolate spread,
preserves....

Stage 1 - the dough - make at least 10, and maximum 24 hours before baking:
Mix yeast and water in a cup until melting, and proof.
In a mixer, mix with the kneading blade (the one that looks like a hook) for
a few moments eggs, sugar and salt, and add yeast.
Add all the flour while blending at low speed and blend until a ball is
formed.
Add the butter a few cubes at a time.
When all the butter is blended in, stop the mixer and put the dough in a
bowl. Seal the bowl with a clingform, and leave overnight in the
refrigirator.

Stage 2 - the cream - make 1 day before baking:
Whip 1 CUP of milk with the yolks and flour.
In a pot, put the remaining 4 cups of milk, sugar and vanilla sugar. Bring
almost to a boil.
Lower the heat under the milk, and while whisking pour slowly in the yolk
mixture.
Cook while whisking until the mixture thickens - it should be as thick as a
porridge.
Pour into a wide Pyrex or bowl, cover with clingform and refrigirate.When
ready it should be solid - cut into three equal pieces, each piece is
for one cake.

Contruction:
Divide the dough into three pieces, each piece is for one cake.
Roll dough (it is a bit sticky, so you need to be liberal with flour) to a
50cmX50cm (20"X20") square.
Spread with 1 container of the spread, on this spread one third of the cold
cream, and on top sprinkle one third of the chopped walnuts.
Roll, and cut to 7 equal pieces.
Arrange in a 26 springform pan, with one piece in the center, and the cut
side facing up. The pieces at this stage should not touch.
At this stage you can freeze the cake.

Cover with clingform and let rise until the pieces meet.
Bake for about 1 hour, or until browned, at 160C (320F).

Note:
I did this cake many times already and with other fillings.
The cream is improtant but if you are really pressed for time, or wish to
make it parve - you can omit it. The cake will be less amazing, though still
very tasty.