[Sca-cooks] Salads, was jelled things.

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Wed Nov 28 09:47:23 PST 2001

In a message dated 11/27/01 11:19:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
afmmurphy at earthlink.net writes:

> OK, a carrot raisin salad is a bit sweet, but that's from the natural
> sweetness of the ingredients, and you do (usually) add mayonnaise, which
> has vinegar.

Well when I make mayo, it has eg yolks, oil (usually veg) and just a touch of
lemon juice to stabilize it, but it isn't tart at all.

>OK, my bias, and that of my family, is that a salad is light and vinegared.
>We also serve it after the main part of the meal, to cleanse the palate,
>and just about nobody does that anymore, so, we're weird...

I like my salads just on the sweet side and for a palate cleanser, nothing
beats freshly made lemon sorbet. And yep, that comes after tha main part of
the meal, so no your family isn't weird.

I am still used to thinking in modern culinary terms instead of actually
thinking in "period" terms. Sometimes I forget. Sorry if that makes things
more confusing.

Finnebhir