[Sca-cooks] period sparkling cider

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Nov 28 21:24:54 PST 2001

Alban asked:
> (So, ummm, errr. . . . what did they serve, way back when, for Fall Harvest
> Festivals? And did they have sparkling non-alcoholic apple beverages?)

A period sparkling non-alcoholic apple beverage? Highly unlikely.

How would they get the bubbles without the fermentation? And unless
a barrel will keep in the fizz, I'm not sure that even sparkling
alcoholic beverages were known. I think the problem is sealing the
bottles without them exploding. Cork is a very late period item as
a bottle seal.

I think some of what was discussed on this subject in the past is
in this file:
p-bottles-msg     (20K)  9/12/01    Period beverage bottles and stoppers.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/p-bottles-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net