[Sca-cooks] Kitchen tools question (ceramic knives)

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Thu Nov 29 02:48:52 PST 2001

>>Anyway, has anyone tried any of these knives with ceramic blades.
How well did they work for you? The idea of never having to sharpen
them is intriguing, although they are fairly expensive and I imagine
the selection of blade and handle styles is limited. You better not
have to sharpen them since they are supposedly only second to
diamond in hardness. You might not be able to sharpen them except
with one of the sharpening sticks that uses embedded diamond chips.
They sound wonderful for slicing wonderfully thin slices of meat
or vegetables, though.
Thanks,   Stefan li Rous

My dad has one and it's nice. They slide through tomatoes like nobody's
business. However, they _do_ get blunt (contrary to what the advertising
says) but they can be resharpened. Definitely a job for the
manufacturer/seller. They also chip. And as GM says, they are very light,
and personally, I like a little heft to my blade. <eg>
I am planning on buying the small paring knife sometime in the new year, but
wouldn't would buy a ceramic chef's knife. YMMV.
Lucrezia

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.