[Sca-cooks] Marrow - thanks

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Thu Nov 1 07:27:07 PST 2001

>> You know, something just hit me. Figuratively speaking, that is. In
>> England, among various other parts of the world and at various times, it
>> was customary to end the meal with a small, final course. Sometimes it
>> was sweet, such as a custard or something. In such cases it was known as
>> a [drumroll, please...] sweet. Sometimes it was savoury.

Bilbo Baggins' great birthday-and-farewell party. The one thing I remember
about it was that there was, at the end of the official courses, lots of little
dishes filled with nuts, and fruits, and other light finger food, to (if I remember
the phrase) "fill in the nooks and crannies". It's a good idea, methinks.

Alban