[Sca-cooks] Mongolian pandy-bat and Christmas traditions

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 1 12:55:25 PST 2001

> >>Oh? Can someone send me details on this Mongolian pandy-bat? Somehow,
> >>I am now the event steward for our upcoming Yule Revel, and I would
> >>like to bring back some of the active games of the past. :-)
> >
> >Actually, the term "Mongolian Pandy-Bat" goes back to the early
> >Dark Ages of the Society and was the catchall name for any new,
> >unusual weapon brought out to the field.
>
> ...and a vague memory says there was often some sort of very weird stuffed
> animal on one end...

The way I remember it, a pandy-bat was a weapon that was potentially more
lethal to the wielder than to the intended opponant.  One fighter went out
there armed with his unwashed gambeson.  Phewwy!  Another time, four squires
tied a fifth squire to a polearm and used him as a sort of battering ram.

Selene, Caid
not a SCA dinosaur but at least a tree shew, er, shree trew, er, um, a rat
okay?