[Sca-cooks] herb stuff- and pregnancy

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Nov 1 13:38:36 PST 2001

Tara Sersen Boroson wrote:

> I also went looking, and couldn't find any website that contraindicated
> cajuput for pregnancy.  But I also didn't find any info that
> definitively disproved Vara's statement.  However, my copy of _Herb
> Contraindications and Drug Interactions_ doesn't list it as an
> abortifacient or emmenogogue, and I picked up this book specifically
> because it seems to be the most conservative one out there.  If you went
> by this book, you won't season your food with anything except salt for
> your entire pregnancy.  (Oh, wait!  Water retention!  Make that no
> seasoning at all ;)
>
> I'll try to remember to ask my midwife about it when I see her on Monday
> night.

Nononono!!! Yes, ask your midwife- she is likely to tell you however
that restricting salt (unless your edema has hit an actual clinically
problematic state) is a BAD IDEA. Use salt as you normally would. It is
normal to retain water during pregnancy- it is your body's way of
increasing and maintaining a higher blood volume. Messing with your salt
intake will just give your kidneys confusing messages. Best way to keep
them happy (and can help prevent pre-eclampsia) is to eat *well*-
100grams of high quality protein a day, lots of good leafy greens, etc,
and keep an eye on fat. My midwife used to say "Don't count calories-
make each calorie count!" I had Pre-eclampsia (toxemia) with my first,
and had a different midwife for the next two- I ended up apprenticing to
her for awhile. She really rides herd on her clients about nutrition
because she believes it is the single most important thing that you can
change (you can't change you genetics) that will affect the outcome of
the pregnancy. And I think she's right. Feed that kid good food and
everyone will be happier...

'Lainie
who kind of misses being an apprentice- but can live without the calls
in the wee hours...