[Sca-cooks] Tiger Balm ingredients

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 2 10:52:55 PST 2001

>Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>
> > So, what are the amounts of these dangerous chemicals in the 5 ml or so
>(most of which is, in fact, the white petrolatum base substance) that gets
>rubbed on the feet (or where-mostly-ever) of a pregnant woman. I'm not
>questioning whether the stuff is an abortificant, I'm just asking _why_ it
>is an abortificant, and so far the case isn't very convincing.
> >
> > Adamantius, who prefers either Red Tiger Balm or White Flower Oil, as
> > per need, but is not a pregnant woman anyway
>
>And I'm sure the One With Cleaver is glad of that!
>
>However, I really have to wonder- the examples ox toxicity given have
>been for people INGESTING the herbs/chemicals in question. I want to
>know- how much camphor, for instance, honestly penetrates the skin, gets
>into the bloodstream, and then crosses the placenta? I would warrant it
>is not nearly as much as would be in the bloodstream if you ate the
>stuff. And frankly, anyone who EATS Tiger Balm is pretty sick anyway!
>
>'Lainie

Well, this is interesting.  I'm not sure if there is any measurable way to
tell how much oil actually gets into your bloodstream but have you ever
crossed paths (even if they have been gone for five minutes or more) with
someone who has been wearing, say, patchouli oil for a number of years?  I
would say those folks are potent enough to wring out and re-bottle!
Olwen