[Sca-cooks] Flavored oils...

A. F. Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 2 15:47:27 PST 2001

What I have read suggests that this is when you have whole or crushed
garlic in oil, for long periods. It creates the anaerobic (airless)
condition botulism needs to grow. It is safe to steep garlic a day or so
for the flavor if you then strain the oil.

Also, adding vinegar, by raising the acid level, prevents botulism. This is
like canning pickles or fruits, all acid, in a water bath, while you need
the higher temperatures of a pressure canner for non-acid vegetables. This
is also the reason oil preserved lemons are safe.

Anne