[Sca-cooks] Transition of Cuisine

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Nov 4 20:44:09 PST 2001

Luanne Bartholomew wrote:

> Here's a question for all you students of food history: What caused
> the transition from medieval to modern cooking methods?
>
> I was reading "French Food in the Renaissance" edited by Anne-
> Marie Rousseau (part of the Madrone Culinary Guild's _The Feudal
> Gourmet_ series).  There was a lot of discussion about the
> changes in cooking by the time of La Varenne. But what caused
> the changes?

In no particular order, some of the factors would include:

Printed cookbooks - idea exchange becomes a bit easier

Protestantism - different dietary rules for parts of Europe

Exploration - cheaper spices, sugar, and new domestic and game animals,
fruits and vegetables

Economic changes / rise of a wealthy middle class in towns

etc.,

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" -- Joe Torre, 11/04/01