[Sca-cooks] Mystery Vegetable

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 02:13:08 PST 2001

Adamantius wrote:
> So, does anyone know what it is? And how do you cook it?
I can't find the reference source I used to have, which had a photo, but it
sounds like it might be something like a jerusalem artichoke, or perhaps the
tuber known in England as galingale or in French as souchet. No relation to
the Southeast Asian rhizome.

Brighid wrote
There is a picture and description of Japanese artichoke
at:http://www.foodsubs.com/Tubers.html

Ta all. Seems it is a Japanese (or Chinese) artichoke. Also known as crosne.
Found a page which delightfully described it as "looking like a white
larvae" <laff> and used as an accompaniment to meat dishes. Still uncertain
how to cook it so I'll treat it as a yam and lightly boil.

Adamantius wrote:
>Other than that, I had real fun at the market, got some wonderful French
verjus and truffle oil, some pied bleus, chantarelle & black trumpet
mushrooms. And some wild boar pancetta which should be interesting.
Fun is a _good_ thing. So is disposable income ; )

No kids. No pets. No car. Gotta do something with the money I don't spend on
books! <g>

Cooked dinner for a friend last night. Entree was pickled anchovies with a
fresh turmeric & honey sauce - this morning my fingers and fingernails are
the most amazing shade of bright bright yellow! And I have the nasty
suspicion they're gonna stay that way for a week or so. Eek.

Ciao
Lucrezia

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.