[Sca-cooks] Farmers Market

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 12:15:12 PST 2001

>         So, we are living in a fantastic time, when many of us have
>relatively easy access to a wealth of exotic foods which would have
>given a Roman patrician a second thought!  Still, a large fraction of
>all this good stuff is unappreciated in the areas where it is produced,
>and has to be carried half-way around the planet by internal combustion
>engine (two cups of diesel for every cup of 'freshly squeezed' orange juice
>imported into the UK, some say!).
>
>         What a dilemma for a foodophile :-/
>
>         All the best,
>
>         Amanda

Freshly squeezed is an overstatement.  My sister works in an orange juice
plant in the lab.  She used to make up and send out the samples of different
mixes to companies.  She told me all about it.  They mix fruit oils, green
fruit juice, ripe fruit juice and even other fruits or oils into a
combination that produces certain tastes.  Anyway, I agree with you about
folks not appreciating what is at hand.

Foodophile!  I love it.

Olwen