[Sca-cooks] Cookie exchange reminder

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Nov 7 09:56:00 PST 2001

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> That was my first thought too Bear.  But empanadas are filled with meat.
> Olwen

Nope-nope-nope! Yes, empanadas are often, and commercially, almost
always, filled with meat, but it's like saying pies are filled with
meat. Or fruit. Or cheese. Or whatever. Their "essential empanadaness"
lies in the fact that they are a filled pastry. Not a Spanish speaker to
any real extent, I would guess at the etymology to be something like,
"FOOD X 'in panada' ", or something in paste.

Adamantius, who likes queso blanco or cream cheese with quince or guava
paste in his
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com