[Sca-cooks] pickled anchovies

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Nov 7 23:07:52 PST 2001

Lucrezia replied to me with:
> The anchovies come pickled in spiced vinegar and are a Spanish speciality.
> These are the large fillets, about 4 - 5 inches long and 1+ across. They're
> white and have a sweet vinegary taste reminiscent of Danish herring
> rollmops. They come in cans, so as aforementioned you can probably buy them
> in Spanish or Italian delis. You should make the effort to track them down
> as they are absolutely wonderful. Nowhere near as salty as salted anchovies
> (well duh! Tina) but if you like those you'll be hooked on these.

Sounds interesting, but I don't know of any Spanish or Italian delis
around here. I will keep this in mind, though.

> >  Yes, turmeric is used as a dye. Maybe you should add some woad
> >  and see if you get green? :-)
>
> <wince> Somehow I don't think it would improve the sauce's flavour...

Well, actually I was referring to adding it to the yellow stain that
you had already acquired on your skin and not to the sauce. No, I don't
think woad would improve the sauce, flavor, considering how it is
processed.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net