[Sca-cooks] Medieval cooking for non-cooks

Rhiannahn rhiannah at australis.aunz.com
Thu Nov 8 03:59:17 PST 2001

Greetings Helewyse

Have been experimenting with various recipes over the past few months (I
have had all these new?? period cookbooks arrive on my door step).  Most of
my cooking over the years has been along the lines of ... s**t not enough
money how can I modify, etc.

One of the recipes I have been experimenting with is Daryols (Pleyn Delit -
Second Edition - Recipe 122) - period custard tarts

Original Redacted Recipe in Book
pastry to make 10 - 20 (depending on size) tart shell
10 egg yolks (or if you prefer 5 eggs)
1/2 cup of sugar
2 cups light cream, milk or a combination
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
optional: pinch of ground saffron

Beat eggs and sugar together, then beat in cream (and/or milk), cinnamon,
and saffron (if used).  Stir over low heat, being careful not to let the
mixture boil, until it begins to thicken; then pour into prepared pastry
shells.  Bake in a oven at 400 for about 20 min.

They keep well for about 7 - 10 days in the fridge (if they last that
long).  Can be made as one big tart - but the middle does not cook as well
- am still working on that part.

My changes -
If not good at making pastry or buying pre-made shells is to expensive
lightly grease a patty tin or muffin tin - forgo the pastry.  I grease with
butter and a light coating of flour.

As I have access to homegrown lemons I forgo the cinnamon and saffron in
favour of lemon rind from a mum's lemon tree (the tree produces
exceptionally large lemons need only one) - if small may need rind from two
lemons.

Milk is the cheaper alternative for making this recipe - if you have folks
that are lactose intolerant (I am) you can make using the lactose free milk
- works quite well although when tasting the mix (as I tend to do at all
stages when playing with recipes) I found you don't need as much sugar some
lactose free milk has had additional sugar to replace the lactose.

All up (except for the cooking time at the end) this recipe takes about 15
min to put together.  Instead of adding ingredients one at a time to the
bowl you can dump the lot in, and mix.  To save time mix all ingredients in
the saucepan and transfer to stove when all mixed in.

>Dear friends,
>I could use some help with this one.
>As well as being a lurker and sometime poster on this e-list I am also
>Deputy MoAS of my local group.  Our Barony this year is having a pot-luck
>for Yule Feast and has requested period dishes from the populace.
>While this causes me no concern, it is a cause for much worry among the
>ramen noodle eaters of the canton.  We are located on a University campus
>so much of our membership is
>A) poor, they won't be buying veal
>B) at the culinary level of boil the pasta and pour over the prego.
>So, I am trying to find simple medieval recipes that can introduce
>medieval cooking gently to these people.  Something that they can make
>relatively quickly and take to the feast while still having enough money
>for Ramen noodles next month.
>
>I started with the ubiquitous Macrowns (medieval Mac and Cheese) made with
>lasagna sheets for ease.
>Caboches in potage
>Buttered wortes
>Funges
>
>Any other suggestions would be welcome.  Remember the cheaper and easier
>the dish the better.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Helewyse de Birkestad
>Marche of the Marshes
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Yours in Service

Arglwyddes Rhiannahn uerch Rhianfellt uerch Rhydderch Rhayader (AA, OBT)
(Cheryl Holland)
Arts & Sciences Mistress, Barony of River Haven
icq 118320906

--

---