[Sca-cooks] Re: Glossary

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Sat Nov 10 09:01:12 PST 2001

>Here are the footnotes I wrote to accompany my translation of the Duke's
>Powder recipe.  (Cindy, feel free to incorporate them into your glossary.)

Thanks!

>Barbara Santich suggests that this recipe title is a misnomer, and an
>indication of Italian influence on Catalan cooking. A very similar blend of
>spices - minus the sugar -- is found in an anonymous Venetian
>cookbook of the late 15th century. It is called specie dolce, "sweet
>spices". <snip>

Then how would you account for Le menagier's recipe of 100 years earlier
calling for pouldre de duc?

(Le Menagier de Paris, c. 1393, found in Goodman of Paris, E. Power, tr.,
1928) - Hippocras..."And note that the powder and the sugar mixed together
is [hight]
 the Duke's powder."

 Pichon's edition of Le Menagier says: "...Et nota que la pouldre et le
succre meslés ensemble, font pouldre de duc."

Cindy