[Sca-cooks] Duke's powder

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Nov 10 15:07:42 PST 2001

Bear replied to me with:
> As a guess, by 1529 the Portuguese were in direct trade with India, cinnamon
> may have been harder to obtain than cloves.  One would need to find the cost
> of the spices at the time to move that further than mere speculation.

Okay, I think this is the most likely reason. However, the cinnamon already
shows up in the recipes for both classes. I would think you'd show more
power by have a multitiude of exotic spices. I had forgotten about this
being a very late period recipe though and trade would have affected things.

> Another possibility is the author preferred cinnamon to cloves.

Then why use the cloves at all in this case.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net