[Sca-cooks] Re: pantry foods was Cooking Spam

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Sat Nov 10 18:50:01 PST 2001

In a message dated 11/9/2001 6:21:02 PM Mountain Standard Time,
johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu writes:

> There was an era when everything was canned at home...
> if it existed and could be eaten later they canned it...
> Too many Home Ec courses....and the Depression of the
> 1930's also warped the senses... something about never
> letting anything go to waste ever again...

For a lot of areas in the Western United States it was also the only way to
ensure you had fruit or vegetables for the winter.   As a child I thought for
many years that fruit and vegetables only came in quart mason jars, it wasn't
until my first sleepover that I found out that they came from the store in
metal cans.   My grandmother, right up until the end of her life, regularly
canned peaches, pears, apricots, beans, peas, corn, pickles (sweet and dill),
jam, jelly (chokecherry jelly was my favorite) tomatos and tomato juice.  My
great-grandmother's root cellar was lined with shelves full of food, and like
a good Wyoming pioneer's daughter every year she canned even more.  Out here
many familys have been canning food since long before the Depression or Home
Ec classes.

Noemi
who only cans dill pickles