[Sca-cooks] Re: pantry foods

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Nov 10 19:02:57 PST 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Okay, here's a city boy question. Why would you make the entire
> cow into hamburger? Was it a particularly old, tough cow? Or is
> it a lot cheaper or less waste just to grind up the whole thing?
If I recall correctly the cow went down (she fell or stepped in a
hole and wasn't walking) and couldn't be saved
or sold, so they butchered her. I would guess that it was a matter
of cost and that grinding for hamburger was a cheap way to go...
and that the quality of the roasts and steaks would have been
sub-par anyway. It was one of the original left-over dairy cows
after we quit milking. (She was not one of the ones that was cross-bred
with the angus bulls.) It's been probably almost 40 years ago and
there's
no one to ask that might remember.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis