[Sca-cooks] cabbage recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Nov 10 21:07:16 PST 2001

Misha the Cabbage Patch Kid, and associate of Captain Newton asked:
> stefan at texas.net writes:
> << Hmm. Okay, there are also some saurkraut recipes in this file in the
>  FOOD-BY-REGION section:
>  fd-Germany-msg   (106K)  6/ 1/01    Medieval and Period German food.
> Cookbooks.
>  http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Germany-msg.html >>
>
> I went to Das Festhaus in Busch Gardens one day and thay had a red cabbage
> side dish that tasted pickled. It was divine! Got anything in the Florilegium
> about that? Would that have been period to pickle red cabbage?

Ok, there is another file which I didn't mention the other day, which
has a number of comments and some recipes on pickled cabbage. It is in
the FOOD section:
pickled-food-msg  (95K)  5/ 7/01    Medieval pickled food. recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/pickled-foods-msg.html

Many of these are "compost" type recipes where the cabbage is one of
many pickled vegetables, but there are some, including a red cabbage
recipe, where the cabbage is one of a few or the only vegetable used.

What *I* remember about Busch Gardens was the large, soft pretzels.
They've become more popular here recently and I can, and do, get
them in my company cafeteria now. It would be nice to be able to get
another mustard than the bright yellow "ballpark" mustard for them,
though.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net