[Sca-cooks] Duke's powder

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Nov 11 15:09:07 PST 2001

Thomas Longshanks said:
> > >  Lady Brighid's translation says: "and for the lords cast in nothing
> > >  but cinnamon,"
> > > What does the original say?
> >
> > "y para los senores, no se echa sino sola canela"
>
> This appears in the Logrono editions (Castillian translations), but not in
> the first edition of Nola (1520, published in Catalan). Neither recipe in
> the first edition gives an instruction like this, just the measure of the
> ingredients and brief instructions on mixing them up. So, this class
> distinction is something introduced by the Aragonese mayor of Logrono, in
> his translation. Where he got it, I don't know. I suspect the wide variation
> in recipes for this powder is at least as much a matter of preference as it
> is a matter of economics. I would caution against over-interpreting this
> through the filter of political power. Yes, it was conspicuous consumption,
> but I think it was food, first. For REALLY conspicuous consumption, look at
> the recipes for Fine Spice powder (Salsa ffina), which called for a
> half-pound of saffron in a pound of powder...

<snip>

Thank you for your interpretation of this.

> This recipe will appear in my booklet of recipes from the Sent Sovi, which,
> with luck, will be available by Twelfth Night.

Will this be a one-time publication for this event? Or do you have
other plans for this as well? I think that I would like to have this
in the Florilegium if you are interested. You keep the copyright and
I will accept updates or removal requests. I can also delay for a
while after 12th Night before putting it online, if desired.

Stefan
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net