[Sca-cooks] Re: pantry foods

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Nov 11 20:26:02 PST 2001

Uhmm--bad memories,....not really.  I'm not sure if it's because I just
wasn't aware of it, or if it didn't happen.  My brother and I know, in
retrospect, that we didn't have a lot of money, but that was more
evident with hindsight than anything.  It always came off more as my
parents' choice, or a value statement.
OTOH, my father was always quite the fisherman and hunter, so we always
had venison, fish, grouse, etc.  And by the time I was 10, we had a
farm, and raised a large garden, lots of potatoes, etc.  I wasn't big on
the weeding parts, but I've always loved the harvest, and putting food
by.
My best food memories would have to include the bounty one year (IIRC, I
was about 8), when both my parents drew moose permits, and actually both
got their moose....lordy, did we have meat.  Dad turned some of it into
these _enormous_ sausages, 3 to 4 inches across, and maybe 3 feet
long....yummmm.
Stuff I hated as a kid, but love as an adult would include dark, leafy
greens like spinach (my mother would be so proud <g>), mushrooms, and
summer squashes (which I just in the last couple of years have learned
to appreciate).
Stuff I'll never eat again includes any kind of bologna or processed
luncheon meat, including hotdogs and commercially-produced sausages, but
it's not because it was poverty food or anything.  It really, really
made me ill as a child, and it was only as an adult that I discovered
that the nausea and migraines were due to very strong sensitivities to
the preservatives used in the meat.
--Maire