[Sca-cooks] My first Feast!

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 12 11:13:59 PST 2001

>Well, I have finally been able to cook and serve out my first feast!  The
>process was quite a learning experience and one that I would not miss
>lightly.

I was there and I took pictures of the group in the kitchen.  I shall post
them and send along a set to you Muirghen.  I can also say I could not
finish all the food sent out.  Read on for some of my comments.

>Dayboard
>Cockaleekie soup, cheeses, fruits and a dynamite garlic dip served with raw
>calliflower.  (the creation of Mistress Rose)

This cockaleekie soup was probably the best I have had.  It was sent out in
small enough batches as to allow for a warm bowl of soup.  As to the garlic
dip, I had to go inquire of Mistress Rose her recipe as it was wonderful and
somehow familiar.  She made up the aioli sauce of modern time although I
have little doubt it could be documentable.  Anyone have an opinion?

>First course
>Polish Hunters stew, sweet and sour cabbage, kasha and fresh baked
>pumpernickle bread.
>
>Second course
>Roast pork loin with rosemary and garlic (another fantastic effort by
>Rose), savory toasted cheese over broccoli, and apple rapeye served with
>white breads

The savory toasted cheese was, and always is, really good.  In this case, he
poured it over the plate of broccoli instead of mixing it together.  Even
the picky eater at the table loved it.  The pork roast was done nicely with
lots of good comments from others around me.

>Third course
>Spiced roast chicken with currants and apples pie, buttered leeks and
>mushrooms with rosemary, and blancmange.
>
>Dessert course
>Cuskinoles, digby cakes and honey mousse tortlets.

OK.  Here it is Muirghen.  I said I just **HAD** to tell on you so duck
now....
Muirghen somewhere along the way realized that GRANDS biscuits in the
popopen seperated into leaves.  Using all his ingenuity he dedicated himself
to separating the leaves of these biscuits which he then filled with his
filling and pinched together perogie style and, what, baked(?) them and
served them forth by name of cuskinole!  Personally, I admire his
imagination but....  On the other hand, I got to be a judge in the desserts
competition which I had already had suggested to Muirghen he should enter.
He won with his honey mousse tortlets.  YUM!

>I can assure all that no one went away hungry and it looks like it was
>successful.
>Muirghen
>--

After feast I said my goodbyes and waddled out to the car with the others.
I suppose we all looked like the weebles toys.

Olwen who was not allowed to help, but then, they didn't need any!