[Sca-cooks] Gerard's Herball

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Mon Nov 12 16:01:13 PST 2001

At 06:31 PM 11/12/01 -0500,Robin Carroll-Mann said something like:
>I'm thinking of looking around for a used copy of Gerard's Herbal.
>Bookfinder.com shows me a bewildering assortment of editions,
>some apparently abridged.  Which [complete] edition would be
>best?  My primary interest is cooking, with occasional forays into
>toiletries and cosmetics.
>

>Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann
>Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
>rcmann4 at earthlink.net

Most of the ones you will find are the "Readers Digest type" versions. The
"complete" one is well over $100.

Perhaps you could ask around and see if someone local to you use either
copy, take a look at it and then see if any of it would apply to what you
are doing.

I was just looking at www.poisonpress.com the other night, and there are a
couple of books of receipts of in period formulas for personal care items,
and 'cures'.

Regards,
Maggie