[Sca-cooks] Farmers Market

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Nov 13 05:41:43 PST 2001

Maire's catching up on old emails....<g>
Pike Place Market is a gift of the gods--I could wander through there
for hours.  Unfortunately, we only had a couple of hours for it while we
were there for KWAS (had to get back to SeaTac to make the bus to get to
the textiles tour at the Henry Gallery), so I missed most of the amazing
places Anne-Marie talks about.
I _did_ get to The Souk, though, although I already knew it was there
and was aiming for it.  Had hoped to find long pepper for a friend, but
did come away with some black mustard seed, coconut oil (for some soap I
want to make), rose syrup (I assume to be diluted and drunk--it was
right next to the stuff-that-had-to-be-modern-sekanjabin), and 2 unusual
things, just for the fun of it.  Does anyone have any ideas about what I
can do with either pomegranate molasses, or dried and powdered
pomegranate seeds?
At the market itself, I found lavender jelly, and in one of the produce
booths, I acquired $40 worth of quinces, which I'd not been able to find
for years at home....woo-hooo, I've always wanted to make murri, and the
rest will go for a couple of confections/marmalades, and maybe a tart
for our baronial holiday party if I feel that generous <g>.
And KWAS was great. And did I mention the food I had while I was there?
Cod and mussels and clams in this amazing broth laced with fennel and
saffron....uhmmmmmmmmm....;-)
I love your town, too, Anne-Marie.
--Maire