[Sca-cooks] OOP pastry question

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Wed Nov 14 05:35:55 PST 2001

I'm venturing forth without having the post you're referring to in front
of me, but as far as this American knows, "lard" is fat rendered from
pork, and is supposed to make really nice pie crusts, although I haven't
ever really used it much (I'm lousy at pie crusts--they're edible, but
nothing pretty <g>, and we have local folk who have to avoid the pork).
"Shortening," on the other hand, generally means a product _similar_ to
lard, but with a vegetable base (such as soybean, corn, cottonseed or
peanut oil), which may or may not be hydrogenated.  Shortenings
(especially cheap ones that I've seen) do sometimes contain a blend of
dairy or meat fats in addition to the vegetable oil base, but that's
more unusual than not.
--Maire