[Sca-cooks] spices question

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 14 09:28:44 PST 2001

Morgana Abbey wrote:

> Nigella seeds:  nifty little black seeds, mildly onion-like flavour.
> Related to the ornamental "love-in-a-mist."  Used in pastries, especially
> Indian ones.
>
> Morgana

They are also known as "black caraway" although I am not sure they are
closely related to the familiar brown caraway.  I discovered them first in
real Armenian string cheese, not the pale American version, this stuff comes
in skeins, you could practically tat with it.  I seem to remember seeing a
mention of them in Russian rye bread, which sounds really nice.

Back at the original question:  if I were entering the contest, I think that
whole nutmegs with a little grater would be a lovely prize.

Selene, Caid