[Sca-cooks] payn perdu et. al.

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Nov 14 14:34:03 PST 2001

Iasmin answered me with:
> Stefan wrote:
> >I'm just a simple lad and those fancy French terms just kinda go
> >right over my head...
>
> And that is my fault for making an assumption. It's been rather
> intentional. ... Telling
> them something was a certain thing would have changed how they
> perceived the recipe.

Yes, I understand. I've sometimes wondered if I've seen that effect
in other redactions discussed here on this list.

Unfortunately, in trying to categorize things for the Florilegium,
sometimes I have to do this by what I think are folks pre-conceived
ideas rather than how things actually are.

> >What do you mean not as complete as yours? All I think I've seen
> >from you was this listing of Payn Perdu recipes, which I will try to
> >add to the French-Toast-msg file.
>
> Well, I'm not quite done yet with the list. I've added 3 more since
> I posted it originally. The article that's in there (and please forgive
> me for not remembering the author write off) has a good number of
> them already.

Yes, I believe we are talking about this article by Christiannna:
French-Toast-art  (27K)  3/31/00    "From Lost Bread to French Toast" by
                                       Christianna MacGrain.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/French-Toast-art.html

> But it stops into the 1600s. I was aiming to include a
> larger time frame to show the variety of ways in which french toast
> is made today (baked or fried, dipped or poured, sweet or savory)
> and how today's methods mirror those across the ages and within
> our researched time periods.

Yes, this is probably too broadly based for the Florilegium.

> >Do you have a more complete article/
> >set of notes? If so, can I have it for the Florilegium? I can
> >wait until after your class
>
> I believe my article *is* more complete in that it contains more
> recipes both from in period and out of period sources. However,
> as I mentioned, it is for a class in beginning recipe redaction, not
> an article about french toast. I think the list of french toast recipes
> would be a great addition.

Okay, I will add them to the French--Toast-msg file.  Or if you've
revised the list since then, other than the other period referance
posted here since then, feel free to send the list to me and I'll
use that.

> The rest? probably not as it is more a
> detailed list of steps and phases and pep talk that amounts to "this
> shouldn't be as scary as you're making it; you already have the
> skills to do this; go at it, champ!"

Okay. There is this article in the Florilegium if you wish to see how
someone else has tried to explain "redacting":
Redacting-art     (10K)  7/ 3/00    "The Kitchen Wench Way: Redacting
Recipes"
                                       by Caointiarn.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Redacting-art.html

> My husband asked me what I  thought about the possibility of submitting
> it as a Complete Anachronist article, especially in light of the recent
> Autocratting 101 issue that was released. But I think I'm still deciding.
> I'd be interested to know what other people think about the idea of
> a beginning redaction CA.

No matter what you do, it is likely to be controversial. Look at the
different camps just on this list: Those that won't substitute at all
and pick another recipe if they are missing anything, Those that will
simply leave things out if they don't have them, Those that will
substitute farmed chickens for free-range chickens but not capons
unless the recipe gave the choice, to those that will substitute
beef, pork, lamb, chicken or whatever they can get for horse. I wish
you luck. People will agree to disagree when it's just an article
saying it is just the author's opinion but with a CA, maybe because
it is somewhat official, they will be less happy with the author and
say so.

Stefan li Rous