[SCA-Cooks] Medieval cooking for non-cooks

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Nov 14 16:47:21 PST 2001

Peter Ryan wrote:

> The "guy" in Dante's Inferno was the titan, Tantalus, from whence the term
> "tantalising" is derived.

Whoop! Whoop! Nope- that wasn't Tantalus- Tantalus was the one with the
perpetual thirst and the cup just out of reach. The one Stefan was
referring to was Sisyphus, who had to roll the boulder up the hill, only
to have it roll back down again.

Sez me, survivor of ITAL 341/441, both sections.

> I wonder if fighter training is the best place to try to convert people to
> period food? I run a fighter training every week, and though many of the
> folks there are extremely active in other facets of SCA life (we have a
> Laurel, and a couple of us Pelican types turn up, plus Krae Glas is a very
> A&S oriented Canton), but the sticks in hands, helms on heads thing seems to
> nix any discussions of other topics.

I suspect that Stefan was taking things to fight practice because it is
frequently the only _regular_ meeting that most folks go to. And awful
lot of folks go to practice and sit around to watch- they won't pick up
a stick and try but they'll watch (and they aren't all An Tirians,
either!). And those same folks won't go to an arts night. Or heraldry.
In fact, quite a few branches combine meetings.

Besides, if you can convert the fighters, you've won a good portion of
the battle, because a lot of people will do it if they see the Big Boys
doing it. Peer pressure in a different direction ;-)

'Lainie